Thursday, December 1, 2011

Class and Income Blog Post

I found the Movie we've been watching in class very eye-opening and intresting. It really developed on the disparity in social class that most people choose to ignore. I think it's crazy how there can be such a difference between someone like Thomas (WASP) and Tammy (who works on minimum) live. Sociological Imagination is shown because we've learned to respect people that are humble and kind. This is why most people, me included, think Thomas comes off as a jerk since he clearly views the WASP as the best social class. I've learned to find disgust in people that can be so condescending and think that they can be better than anyone else. Tammy, however, seems genuine and I can respect her for her hardwork and positivity. The movie also demonstrated how we see social class based on previous known stereotypes such as seeing the Red Neck Games as low class since they might not have as good incomes or "lifestyles". I think that it is wrong to judge people based off of their social class or income level just because there is much more to a person than a typical sterotype. For example, though I think it's intresting that their are so many differences in social class, I don't think it is necessarily fair. I thought it was crazy that you could even find differences in food such as higher income people eat more wheat bread while lower class eat more white bread. The movie demonstrated how there are so many simple differences and how people of different social statuses view each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment